We all want a smooth move! The more planning you can do ahead of time, the better your move will be. Be sure to consult a moving calendar to cover all the details and time your move accordingly.
Book your movers early and obtain estimates from several reputable companies. Save costs by packing your own stuff.
Here’s a handy checklist to plan a move.
Six to eight weeks before moving
- Obtain written estimates from several different moving companies and book one in advance.
- Start going through your belongings and dispose of items you no longer want or need via a garage sale or donations to charity.
- Start accumulating moving and packing supplies if you plan to do your own packing. If you hire a moving company, they will often supply boxes for you, setup a date for them to drop the boxes off.
- Become familiar with your new neighbourhood and investigate new schools, recreation facilities, parks and shopping areas.
- If you are moving to another province or country make travel arrangements (flights, rental cars, hotel etc.).
- If you rent your present home, be sure to give your landlord advanced written notice and make arrangements for the return of any deposits in compliance with your rental agreement.
Four to five weeks before moving
- Change your mailing address by visiting your local Post Office, or do it online.
- Notify your utility providers of the date of your move (eg. Terasen Gas, ICBC, BC Hydro, Telus, Rogers or Shaw)
- Contact the Strata Management office if you are moving to a condominium and ensure the moving elevator/access will be available during your move in date and time.
- Hire a cleaning company including a carpet cleaner to clean your home prior to moving to satisfy rental agreements if required.
Notify associates, companies and institutions of your pending move/change of address including:
- Your employer
- Security provider
- Insurance providers (life, home, car)
- Credit cards
- Driver’s license
- Medical providers
- Medical Services Plan
- Inform any home delivery services of your move and arrange for service at your new address.
Three weeks before moving
- Transfer funds in trust or bank accounts and securities.
- Cancel/transfer memberships.
- Transfer medical, dental, and prescription records via your practitioners.
- Confirm all of your travel/moving arrangements.
- Return any borrowed items such as DVDs or library books.
Two weeks before moving
- Back up all computer files on an external drive in preparation for moving.
- Make final packing decisions about what to take (or not).
- Make arrangements to move perishables, such as plants.
One week before moving
- Pack and store valuables that you plan to transport yourself from items movers will transport for you.
- Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator at least 24 hours before you move.
- Mow your lawn if necessary.
- Pack any personal items that you will need separately from the rest of your belongings that will be in transit.
- Pack an overnight kit, containing snacks, clothes and a few toiletries.
- Organize house keys, alarm codes and anything else you need to transfer to your home’s new occupants. Your Sales Associate can transfer these items to the new owners if applicable.
- Tour your house with the moving van operator during inventory and confirm your new address.
- Stay home until the moving van has packed up and left.
- Do a final check for overlooked items.
- Turn off all lights, lock doors and windows, and transfer keys
- Try to get to your new home before the moving van arrives so you can supervise.
- Make sure the utilities are connected.
- Review your furniture plan for the new space prior to moving in.
- When the mover arrives, check items as they are unloaded against the inventory list.
After the move
- Take time to arrange your furniture and settle into your new place.
- Relax and enjoy your new space